Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Wonderful Things We Do For Each Other

Mr. Joe Scaturro at his finest
I recently had one of the most influential people in my life, Joe Scaturro, pass. While it was agonizing to feel the pain, see the hurt in his family's faces, and consider the world without him, I am motivated to make the world a better place and to pay forward all of the great things that my father in law gave me.  To call him generous would be terribly underestimating his nature to give.  A true family man, he provided support, advice, and time to levels that are rarely seen.  My wife made the statement that if there was only one thing that she was ever totally sure of, it was that her father loved her.  He carried that through to everyone he met and took a personal responsibility for not only the people who knew him and worked for him, but their families as well.

I myself would have never had the opportunities I have had without my father in law.  He encouraged me to apply to Cornell University, where I received my Master's Degree.  He helped me open my own businesses and supported me even when our business ideals diverged.  When I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, he employed me for two years while I worked it out.  Most impressive, when my wife and I separated, he called me every day to make sure I was doing well.  He told me that no matter what happened, we would always be family.  This is kindness that simply does not exist in this world.

It makes me think about all of the people who have made massive sacrifices and given for others with no desire of return.  I am going to try to write about one of these people one day out of each week.
Please send me your own stories and I will use them.  It can be a family member, friend, historical figure, teacher, anyone.  If they inspired and gave, I wanna hear about them and share their story.



No comments:

Post a Comment