Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fish Tacos - The Top 10

Well, after visiting what approached 50 different fish taco suppliers and stressing over how I could whittle down so many delicious tacos down to my 10 favorite; I have sat down with a glass of vodka, and will jot down my Top 10.  I have developed a 2X2 grid (thank you once again, Cornell University) to help you make your decision out of my Top 10 which would appeal to you best.

When asked abut my love for Fish Tacos, the best thing that I can come up with as to why I have this crazy fascination is that they are "deceptively simple."  A great fish taco is a few ingredients that produce a massive "Wow Moment."  The list is endless on how you can pull it off; but as with pizza, no two are exactly the same. I have had a very simple fish taco that provided massive WOW and I have had fish tacos with many ingredients that just ended up flabby like a dull red wine.  And of course, the opposite has been true.  The one thread that runs common with all is that the fish must be fresh and there should always be a lime nearby (and Chalula, but that's a matter of personal preference and not a judgement on the tacos themselves).

One disclaimer - this list does not include any stops in the Miami area.  This being the case, I'm sure the list may change a step or two once I dive deeper into the South Florida Fish Taco Scene.

It has been an absorbing phenomena and I'm very excited to come up with the first of what I know is going to be an organic list of my Top 10 Fish Tacos in the State of Florida.


10.  This is one I'm gonna pour out for my homies.  As in any Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, #10 will be left non-declared as a monument to the Fish Tacos who did not come in last, but all tied for 10th.

9.  Midtown Filling Station (Tallahassee)- One thing that I have definitely learned is that if there is a garnish on the side that can go IN the taco, throw that bad-boy in there.  Midtown's tacos definitely hit that description.  The slaw on the side is awesome and the fish is wonderfully fresh.  A great taco indeed!

8.   El Taco Amigo (DeLand) - This obviously is a hometown favorite.  While they use fried fish in this particular dish and the fish itself is somewhat small, the price ($2.25 each) and the red sauce they offer is absolutely phenom!  Get started on these and you will go up and order some more.

7.  Sea Dog Cantina (Tampa) - This is the taco that got me over my fear of avocado.  Not that I love it, but it comes on the taco and it is unfair to ask a chef to alter his recipe.  The avocado was great on this taco and the flavors come together well on this one.  Add a side of Chimay Red and you are set!

6.  Surf Shack (Tampa) - Now this place offers a few different types of fish tacos.  I ordered the Longboard Tacos because I do not get a lot of fried fish tacos and wanted to experience these for the sake of parity.  The key word on these beauties is 'balance."  I dug the slaw and the sauce on these tacos and they definitely left me wondering when I can get back in for the others.

5.  Z Grille (St. Pete) - Another winner and I had to go back a second time to verify.  Add some WTF Fries to your order and you won't be disappointed.

4.  Twisted Cuban Food Truck (Central Florida) - Amazing fish tacos off a food truck?  YES!  As a bonus, the owner (after an in-depth conversation about beer) gave us a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, one of my favorite beers!

3.  Golden Lion (Flagler Beach) - Another locale that offers a variety of fish tacos.  This is one of the tacos that lend itself to "simple is better."  The standard tacos were OK.  Where we got the POW was in the Thai Fish Tacos.  Described simply as seasoned and grilled white fillet, thai chili purple slaw, wasabi aioli, and steamed yellow rice, the Thai Fish Tacos were and exercise in spicy ambrosia.  Add sitting across from the beach and this is heaven on earth.

2.  The Waterfront (Anna Maria Island) - Definitely the most beautiful setting I have seen to eat fish tacos, the restaurant itself sits on a peninsula and looks out onto the Sunshine Skyway.  I was suggested this place and made a long journey to get there. WORTH IT!  They use fresh blackened grouper and lots of it.  Do not miss out on these.

AND # 1?


This should come as no shock to anyone who knows me well enough.  It's Dunedin Brewery's Fish Tacos.  I do not know what they do to these things but I have taken in the range of 10 different people there to munch on these things and the consensus remains, these are the BEST!

It is going to take a lot of searching to find a taco that will knock Dunedin off the top spot, but I am always on the lookout for the one that will.  I still have a ton more to visit so the updates will not stop.

As promised, I am creating a 2X2 grid of my faves to show you where they sit on the easiest matrix and most appropriate list I could muster.  This grid is in production and will be coming soon.  Cheers!




  


No comments:

Post a Comment