Sunday, February 5, 2012

Beer Tasting - Vintage and Seasonal Stuff

Was able to taste out some beer on Thursday that I had been sitting on for a while.  Had some of my favorite beer drinking buddies with me at my old stomping ground, ABBEY so I also pulled out a brew I had never had before.  

First was the third batch of Cigar City 110 K+ IPA.  As tasty as I remember it and certainly as malty.  I dig this one a lot, but my preferences tend toward the more malty IPAs anyway.  Steve Evans, the new owner of ABBEY, has a pant-busting crush on this beer, so it was the perfect time to try it out after a year or two of ageing.  Something tells me it has another millenia or so until it goes the way of the dodo.

Second we had the Great Lakes Christmas seasonal from 2011.  Always a treat, and anyone from Ohio will tell you it's a brew that they all wait all year for.  This is one of Rosie's favorite beers and I'm always joyed to have some of it.  

Third was the Flying Mouflan from Troeg's.  The commercial description as listed on ratebeer reads:

"The Flying Mouflan was #4 in the "Scratch Beer Series" begun by John and Chris Trogner and their brewing staff in 2007, producing one-offs based on recipes the brothers developed in the mid-’90s when they were considering opening a brewpub rather than a production brewery. The medal-win in Denver last October convinced the brothers to make the barleywine-style ale the first beer to come out of the Scratch program and be added to the production roster."

This was a kick in the teeth - in a good way.  My only regret is that I didn't buy more.  Would love to find a few more bottles sitting around (message to my middle America friends).

Lastly we had the Weyerbacher Fifteen, as smoked Imperial Stout.  Once again, a brew that still has many years on its tires.  The smoke had subsided with a few years ageing, but not to any level whatsoever that you missed it.  Good stuff, as can always be expected from Weyerbacher.

Not one miss in this bunch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment