Friday, February 24, 2012

Stop in at Stubbies - Gainesville

 A buddy of mine has been bragging on this bar for years.  In fact, when I owned ABBEY I grew tired of hearing him constantly go on about Stubbies http://stubbiesandsteins.com/.   

So on a trip to Gainesville to do an ABC tasting, we figured we had to stop by Stubbies and have at least one.  It just seemed the right thing to do.  Also, I could take this opportunity to make Bobert sorry for giving us a hard time all these years.  The idea, of course, was to catch us on film having a drink while he was invariably at work. Hardly a Jackass level prank, but we don't wanna hurt the guy - we just want him to curse us under his breath.

First of all, the decor is unreal.  For a place that has been serving massive beer for many years, it is remarkably clean.  There is clearly a German intent here, but that does not mean they are limiting themselves to German beers. Basically two rooms, the restaurant boasts (from what I saw) three large beer coolers, 24 drafts, and a respectable German-inspired food menu.

To say that they have 24 taps is understating the offerings they have.  This is truly a "no crap on tap" establishment.  I have been to places that boast 85 taps with 65 variations of Bud, Blue Moon White and three Blue Moon seasonals, and some other easy-seller.  Sorry folks, this is not 85 taps.  In the case of Stubbies, they have 24 taps of worthy beer, half of which are extremely rare and have to be hand-sold.  This is a beer bar my friends.

As for the brews, Rip went with his tried-and-true Duchesse De Borgogne http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745and I went with a brew I've never seen before - Oppigards Amarillo http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10903/53576.  Very nice, and to have on draft, I feel very lucky.

The staff was very kind to us, and I wish I got the bartender's name, because he was very well-informed and polite.  A great combo in a beer bar.

Whatever the excuse for being in Gainesville, I will definitely be visiting Stubbies every time I'm in town.  Cheers!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment